Start your engines….
- Family Ties: Brandon Triche is going to wear Orange. This is awesome news for at least three reasons. One, the kid is a Stud. 100% certified. Two, he plays a position — point guard — where we’re going to need someone relatively soon (unless you have more faith in Scoop Jardine than I do). Triche will be on board in time to step in as soon as Jonny Flynn’s Cusetime is up, whenever that may be. Three, the other schools he was considering were the two most hated by any sentient Syracuse fan — Georgetown and UConn. It’s not just that I don’t want those teams to be good. But, because Brandon is a homegrown talent, we would have had to stomach having to hear over and over about how the best player to come out of a Syracuse-area high school in ages* chose to spurn his roots and play for an archrival. You just know that it would be one of the canned “talking points” repeated for our edification on every ESPN broadcast. (”Hey! Did you know Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris were high school teammates?? It’s true!!!!!!!!”)
* — sorry, Andy Rautins!
- Some Love For the Ladies: The SU Field Hockey team is undefeated and shooting up the national rankings! They were ranked #18 in the preseason, then went 4-0 in the first week of play (including wins over #8 and #10) to vault to 7th place. Then, this past weekend, they came down to my neck of the woods to take on #1 Maryland in their Terrapin Invitational — and ground out a 2-1 victory over the Terps. On the road! They went 2-0 for the weekend (also defeating Delaware) and are now #3 in the latest Field Hockey poll, one place above Connecticut (restoring the rightful order of things).
- Gator Hater: SUAthletics.com has just announced that the hoops team will match up against recent national champs Florida in the College Basketball Experience in Kansas City on November 24. Washington and the most recent champs Kansas will face off in the other “semifinal” with the two winners meeting on Nov 25. This news is just coming down the pipeline and as I type this is popping up on blogs left and right. I’d love to see an SU-Kansas championship game, just so they would have another excuse to show footage from 2003. Plus, the Syracusan is currently dating a KU fan and that would just be personally entertaining to watch.
- The NBA: Where Glimmer of Hope Happens: in the past week, Mike Waters has reported that both Gerry McNamara and Darryl Watkins will be in NBA training camps when they open in a couple weeks, Gerry with Utah and Mookie with the Spurs. The big difference between them is that Watkins has a partially-guaranteed contract, while all Gerry got was an invitation. Also, Watkins has actually played in the NBA, albeit only in a few games. We’ll monitor the situation closely, and we’ll let you know where in Eastern Europe Gerry signs once he gets cut. (Harsh!)
In other NBA news, Hakim Warrick’s name has been mentioned in trade talks with (of all teams) the Knicks. A year after trading for Zach Randolph, they are looking to move him out of town. Memphis is interested and Hak could be part of the trade package. And, here’s a nice little piece on Etan Thomas’ return from heart surgery — though what it doesn’t mention is that when he is not working out, he’s hanging out on Barack Obama’s campaign bus and appearing at Democratic campaign events in Northern Virginia.
- Obligatory Football Content: it burns! IT BURNS!!!!
God I am looking forward to basketball season.